A couple of weeks ago, I wrote about candles and how toxic they can be. That was a downer, but how about a fix? There is a way to rid your home of some of the toxins that come in on your clothing, that you clean with, and that plastics and glues give off all of the time in your home. Think you don’t have much plastic? You’d be surprised.
If you are home more than away, you have an increased cancer risk of 55 per cent over those who work away from home! We discussed the toxins in candles and will visit your favorite cleaners soon, but today lets talk about improving the air quality of your home.
Ever been to New York City? This country girl has and outside of a home school field trip, I don’t really care to return. “…the air in Times Square was 16 times cleaner than inside supposedly clean American homes.” (source) How is this possible? All the emissions from vehicles in dense NY, and homes are more toxic? Yes. From the carpet you just replaced to the cleaners under the sink, homes are a very toxic place. Let’s learn how to clean them up!
- Himalayan Salt Lamps change the negative ions in the room and positively charge them.
- Plants! Indoor plants. They breath in the CO2 we breathe out and give us back the wonderful O2, oxygen, that we need to breathe! Isn’t God’s creation astounding at every turn? Not only do they provide the chemical component we breathe, they also eliminate our air of toxins. Mind you, these must be living plants. Pretty silks that you must dust are just a waste ;).
- Diffuser! An essential oil diffuser can be used to decrease toxins by replacing your candles and using essential oils that trap and eliminate the toxins and increase health in your home by eliminating airborne germs.
Top plants for toxin elimination (and if you’re like me difficult to kill) are:
- Spider Plant. Eliminates: benzene, formaldehyde, carbon monoxide and xylene
- Snake Plant. Eliminates: formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene, and xylene
- Golden Pothos. Eliminates: formaldehyde, xylene, toluene, benzene, carbon monoxide
These first 3 I’ve managed to keep alive! Sometimes by a thread but alive. The rest, I’ve not tried… yet.
- Chrysanthemum. Eliminates: formaldehyde, xylene, benzene, and ammonia
- Aloe Vera. Eliminates: Formaldehyde and benzene
- Bamboo Palm. Eliminates: formaldehyde, benzene, carbon monoxide, xylene, chloroform and more. I think I’m going to have to get this one!
- Dracaena. Eliminates: benzene, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, and xylene
- Ficus. Eliminates: benzene, formaldehyde, and trichloroethylene
- Peace Lily. Eliminates: formaldehyde, benzene, trichloroethylene, xylene and ammonia
- English Ivy. Eliminates: benzene, carbon monoxide, formaldehyde, trichloroethylene, as well as human fecal matter! This would be good to keep in your bathroom as that does get airborne, *gasp*.
Breathing is easier know that there’s more oxygen in my home as well as fewer toxins floating about! Go get some plants!! and some Young Living Essential Oils!